Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Run To Remember

So, I arrived in Oklahoma City with Jeff, Caleb and Nicole on Saturday to visit the Expo and pick up our packets for our Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon on Sunday morning.

We picked up our packets and made a couple purchases at the Expo and then went to thoroughly enjoy our pre-race dinner. Let's just say we were definitely carb-loaded going into Sunday's race!

We were all really excited and had our own goals in mind for the race. I didn't really have a "time" in mind as a goal, but I wanted to stay under 10min/mile pace as long as I could, hoping to at least get half way before my pace started to gradually fall as I expected it would.

I was trying not to be too worried about the new knee pain that I began experiencing during my final 10 mile run and then again on Friday with a 5 mile run. I was sure that at one point it was going to start hurting, but was fully intending to mentally "run around" the pain, which I have been successful at doing in the past.

After a few anxious moments waiting for the hotel shuttle, we made it to the race with about 40 minutes to spare...all I can say is ~WOW~ what an atmosphere! 22,000 participants sounds like a lot of people, but let me tell you....it looked like there could have been a million people there! It was amazing how windy and chilly it was until we all crammed into the starting chute and them magically it was warmer...ah, the power of the body heat of 22k people!

So, there we are and "bang" the starting gun goes off....wait...we're not moving yet?!?! 9 minutes later the we start moving....we were probably about in the middle of the pack...it was nuts!

So, the jingle of the chip on my shoe as I crossed the Start line meant "It's time to run!". Caleb was already long gone and I lost Nicole as I was trying to catch up to Jeff to tell him good luck!

And off I went....had the tunes blasting and was passing people left and right. Quick checks of my watch were telling me I was right on track with my pace, totally comfortable at about 9:45 min/mile pace...occasionally I would have to slow down when I got stuck behind a group and then zoom by to get around them. The first big hill came and went, and I was still feeling great.

Around mile 4 the knee started whispering to me...just a little pain, nothing that a good song couldn't drown out. Not sure exactly when it happened, I remember passing a house with what I assumed was 168 red white and blue pinwheels (one for each victim of the 1995 bombing), and then the next thing I know that whining right knee starting giving out...I couldn't even put my weight on it when I was running. I stopped...stretched out a bit, grabbed a drink of PowerAid and started running again....5 steps later the knee was giving out again.

Trying not to panic I started walking again, I was going to give myself one minute of walking and try again....I don't remember the exact time, but I remember the seconds were at :20 when I started keeping track....loop around to :20 again and I started running...pain..."maybe it will hurt less if I run faster"....pain..."5 more seconds, maybe it will go away"...pain....the more I ran the more that darn knee failed....

Finally I conceded....fortunately the pain was mostly gone as long as I was walking and not bending it too much. Unfortunately I still had 8 long miles to feel sorry for myself before I was done. Nicole caught up and passed me at about mile 7, she was doing great, at least I could be happy for her. Jeff caught up at about mile 8 or so...and I started crying as I told him I couldn't run. He slowed down to walk with me, but I told him to go...I didn't want to hold him back...he jogged off, disappearing into the crowd within minutes.

Wow, it was an emotional experience. To say I was disappointing would be an understatement. I was devastated. But it seemed like every time I wanted to start feeling sorry for myself I would look up to find one of the 167 Memorial banners that listed the name of one of the victims of the bombing. How can I feel sorry for myself knowing that each name represented a stolen life. So I sucked it up, found a new song and kept going.

As the miles racked up I watched my average pace on my watch slowly fall....from 9:45 to 10...to 11...to 12...you get the picture...it was not pretty. I watched as people continued to pass me, some barely breathing, some limping, some going strong with their heads held high. I was passed by 2 kids, not more than 12 years old and was encouraged by all the people encouraging them. I was able to sincerely thank each of the volunteers that helped to make the race a success and tried to smile as people stood by the road holding signs of encouragement and clapping for people they've never met.

I finished the last mile with New Kids On The Block, smiling as I was (now) limping along to "Hangin' Tough" and "Please Don't Go Girl" As I finally entered the finish chute I forced myself to run the last couple yards across the finish line. I was astonished to see that, in spite of having to walk over half of the course, I was still able to beat last year's Dam to Dam time by 5 minutes, and this was .7 miles longer!

Follow my journey thru my Garmin here: Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon by nkessink at Garmin Connect - Details">

I am still dealing with bitterness about not being able to see what I was fully capable of, but at least I can celebrate in the success of my friends and I know that I gave 100% of what I had on that particular day and in the end, isn't that the point?

And...Jeff, Caleb and Nicole even "let" me be in the group picture, even though I was a still a little whiny when the picture was being taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment