Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Motivation

This morning I had to get up at 3:30 am....put my swimsuit on, followed by 2 pairs of pants, two shirts, gloves, hat, ect....to shovel my driveway BEFORE heading to the gym for my 5 am swim workout.

Why didn't I just stay in bed? I got out of bed because Nick Lacina can't right now. Nick is our Honored Teammate for Team In Training. Nick is an 18 year old freshman at Iowa State. He has pretty much been in the hospital since Christmas, fighting pneumonia. This has been a pretty fierce battle because Nick has Leukemia. I have been following his fight on his CarePage.

Every time training gets hard, I imagine Nick and his mom, in a hospital room....WAITING....waiting for fevers to go down....waiting for counts to go up...waiting for cultures....waiting for clear xrays....waiting for a good night's sleep....waiting for the strength to get out of bed....waiting for a cure....

I imagine Nick is doing enough waiting for all of the members of Team In Training. For Nick and countless others that are WAITING, I am going to keep DOING......

1 comment: